How do I obtain permission from the Board to alter my property?

Before obtaining a building permit from the Building Division within the Community Development Department, you should contact the Staff of the Board (the Planning and Growth Management Department serves as the staff liaison to the Historic Preservation Board and can be reached at 321-567-3778) to determine if the proposed changes need to be reviewed by the Board.

If your alterations are not exempt, you must apply for a Certificate of Appropriateness. You will be asked to discuss your plans with members of the Board at a monthly public meeting. (If you do not wish to appear at the public meeting, you may appoint someone, including your contractor or the Staff, to take your place.) If the Board finds the proposed changes compatible with the historic character of your property, it will issue a Certificate of Appropriateness. The Board may also issue a Certificate of Appropriateness on the condition that you modify your plans according to its recommendations, or a Certificate of Hardship in those rare instances where it is necessary.

Show All Answers

1. What types of alterations require review by the Board?
2. What types of alterations are exempt from Board review?
3. Am I required to undo changes made to my property before it was designated?
4. How do I obtain permission from the Board to alter my property?
5. What is a Certificate of Appropriateness?
6. Is there a filing fee for the Certificate of Appropriateness?
7. If I am planning alterations to my property, when should I contact the Board?
8. Can the Board assist me in renovating my historic property?
9. What happens if the Board denies my request for a Certificate of Appropriateness?
10. Can I appeal a denial of a Certificate of Appropriateness?