- Student Advisory Council
- Student Advisory Council - October 17, 2023
Student Advisory Council - October 17, 2023
Student Advisory Council
October 17, 2023
The 2023/2024 Student Advisory Council (SAC) met in regular session on Tuesday, October 17, 2023, in the Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 S. Washington Avenue, Titusville, FL 32796.
Co-Chairperson Riche Dobbs called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
Present were Co-Chairperson Addison Flake, Co-Chairperson Edie Pringle, Co-Chairperson Richie Dobbs, and members Callie Cerrato, Julia Moon, Victoria Hillery, London Hopping, Cadyn Fiebig, Sydney Lelle and Christa Sims.
Member Simon Williams was absent.
Also present was City staff liaison Emily Campbell.
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT – None.
Member Julia Moon moved to approve the minutes of the regular Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting on September 19, 2023, as written. Vice-Chair Callie Cerrato seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
NEW BUSINESS –
November 2023 Student Advisory Council Meeting – The Student Advisory November meeting was scheduled on November 21, 2023. That day fell of Thanksgiving Break for Brevard County Schools. Council came to a consensus to change the November meeting date to Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.
OLD BUSINESS –
Host a beach cleanup at Playalinda Beach – Co-Chairperson Edie Pringle confirmed the date (November 18, 2023) with Canaveral National Seashore. Co-Chairperson Edie Pringle stated that she was bringing a tent and Canaveral National Seashore was providing trash bags. Member Julia Moon stated that she was bringing a cooler with drinks. Council discussed advertising flyers at their schools and requesting donations.
Host a Youth Leadership Seminar in Spring of 2024 – Council continued planning using the planning guide in the meeting agenda packet. Take on assignments. Vice-Chairperson Callie Cerrato reviewed the planning process for the seminar.
Council voted to tentatively reschedule the Leadership Seminar to March 20, 2024 or March 21, 2024, because the previous date March scheduled March 27, 2023 was during spring break.
Vice-Chairperson Callie Cerrato recommended Mr. Jarrod Bayles as a guest speaker and Member Julia Moon recommended Mr. Johnathan Gibson.
The Last Dance Prom Video – Senior Media Specialist Kurtis Korwin provided an update on the project.
MEMBER REPORTS –
Motion: Co-Chairperson Edie pringle moved to reschedule the November meeting to November 15, 2023 at 4:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers. Member Julia Moon seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
STAFF LIASON REPORT
Action items: None.
- Council Budget – For your information: the available funding for SAC projects (Projects account nos. GFCC01 and GFCC04) is included in this agenda packet.
- Attendance at Meetings – Reminder (your responsibility) please be aware of City Ordinance (local law) and the SAC Scholarship Policy provide the City’s policy on board member and SAC scholarship attendance requirements. This info was provided to each school and SAC Members in the orientation packet (August 2023).
- Polo Shirt Order Form – For Students that do not have an SAC polo shirt (dark blue with white embroidery), please submit your order form and shirt size to the City Staff liaison, Emily Campbell (form provided in the orientation packet). Please note students may wish to order a t-shirt, but which is the student’s financial responsibility.
- Media Waiver Release – New SAC Members: please submit your completed form (included in the orientation packet) to City staff Liaison Emily Campbell.
- City’s Annual Board & Commission Appreciation Dinner – Save the date. Tentatively scheduled on October 26, 2023 at 6PM, at the Indian River Preserve in Mims, FL. You may bring one guest. Invitation forthcoming.
- Meeting Agendas & Delivery Methods – Following the first SAC meeting on August 15, 2023, the monthly meeting agenda will be emailed to you at least five (5) calendar days prior to each meeting; however, emails are sometimes undeliverable. To this, it is each SAC Member’s responsibility to get and review meeting agendas prior to your meetings.
With no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned at 4:34 p.m.