- Student Advisory Council
- Student Advisory Council - August 15, 2023
Student Advisory Council - August 15, 2023
Student Advisory Council
August 15, 2023
The 2023/2024 Student Advisory Council (SAC) met in regular session on Tuesday, August 15, 2023, in the Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 S. Washington Avenue, Titusville, FL 32796.
Co-Chairperson Addison Flake called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
Present were Co-Chairperson Addison Flake, Co-Chairperson Edie Pringle, Co-Chairperson Richie Dobbs, and members Callie Cerrato, Julia Moon, Victoria Hillery, Cooper Mangini, Caydn Fiebig and Crista Sims.
Also present was City staff liaison Emily Campbell.
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT – None.
Member Edie Pringle moved to approve the minutes of the regular Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting on April 18, 2023, as written. Member Callie Cerrato seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
Assistant City Attorney Chelsea Farrell highlighted Florida Sunshine Laws and Robert’s Rules of Order.
Welcome 2023-2024 Student Advisory Council (SAC)! – Member introductions. Also, meet the School Advisors, City Staff Liaison, etc.
All members of the Student Advisory Council introduced themselves and stated their school and grade level.
SAC’s Purpose and Orientation Packet – SAC Members should review the packet prior to your 1st meeting (did everyone receive the orientation packet?). Take this opportunity to ask questions on the packet’s contents, review the purpose of your Council as a government advisory board, etc.
Assignment of Vice-Chairperson and Secretary Positions – Per City Resolution No. 1-2017, your Council will assign members of its cabinet to the positions of Vice-Chairperson, Secretary, and any other officers that your Council deems appropriate.
Motion: Co-Chairperson Edie Pringle moved to appoint Member Callie Cerrato as Vice Chairperson. Member Julia Moon seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
Motion: Member Callie Cerrato moved to appoint Member Julia Moon as secretary. Co-Chairperson Edie Pringle seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
2023/2024 Goals/Recommendations – Chairpersons: staff suggests providing background info (for new members) on each goal. The 2022/2023 Annual Report to City Council (Orientation Packet) may provide useful background info. Then, begin discussing, planning, and taking on individual elective tasks to complete the 4 goals or projects shown below. Secure all details, such as event dates and locations, deadlines, costs, commitments from outside agencies, etc. Projects typically require SAC members to individually complete simple or easy, but important tasks outside of your meetings.
- Host a beach cleanup at Playalinda Beach
- Continue the DriveDriveDie campaign project with updating the 2008 The Last Dance Prom Video
- Host the Youth Leadership Seminar next spring (Page 10.)
- Initiate an elementary art showcase event for Titusville’s young students
Co-Chairperson Edie Pringle reviewed the beach cleanup at Playalinda Beach and stated that she would contact the Park Ranger to schedule the beach cleanup for November 18.
Senior Media Specialist Kurtis Korwin reviewed the progress of The Last Dance Prom Video and discussed the timeline for completing the video.
Vice-Chairperson Callie Cerrato reviewed the Youth Leadership Seminar.
Council discussed removing the elementary art showcase for Titusville’s young students from this year’s goals because of the workload of the other projects.
Vice-Chairperson Callie Cerrato moved to remove the elementary art showcase for Titusville’s young students from the 2023/2024 Goals. Member Julia Moon seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
OLD BUSINESS – None.
MEMBER REPORTS – None.
STAFF LIASON REPORT
Action items: None.
- Council Budget – For your information: the available funding for SAC projects (Projects account nos. GFCC01 and GFCC04) is included in this agenda packet.
- Attendance at Meetings – Reminder (your responsibility) please be aware of City Ordinance (local law) and the SAC Scholarship Policy provide the City’s policy on board member and SAC scholarship attendance requirements. This info was provided to each school and SAC Members in the orientation packet (August 2023).
- Polo Shirt Order Form – For Students that do not have an SAC polo shirt (dark blue with white embroidery), please submit your order form and shirt size to the City Staff liaison, Emily Campbell (form provided in the orientation packet). Please note students may wish to order a t-shirt, but which is the student’s financial responsibility.
- Media Waiver Release – New SAC Members: please submit your completed form (included in the orientation packet) to City staff Liaison Emily Campbell.
- City’s Annual Board & Commission Appreciation Dinner – Save the date. Tentatively scheduled on October 26, 2023 at 6PM, at the Indian River Preserve in Mims, FL. You may bring one guest. Invitation forthcoming.
- Meeting Agendas & Delivery Methods – Following the first SAC meeting on August 15, 2023, the monthly meeting agenda will be emailed to you at least five (5) calendar days prior to each meeting; however, emails are sometimes undeliverable. To this, it is each SAC Member’s responsibility to get and review meeting agendas prior to your meetings.
Another option - pick-up hardcopy of the SAC meeting agenda from City Hall (Information Desk). A hardcopy of the agenda will also be available at meetings.
Reminder your Council’s regular meetings are held the 3rd Tuesday of each month
at 4PM, August through April, at Titusville City Hall.
Special meetings may be scheduled as necessary.
(City of Titusville Resolution 1-2017).
With no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned at 4:32 p.m.