- Student Advisory Council
- Student Advisory Council - August 16, 2022
Student Advisory Council - August 16, 2022
Student Advisory Council
August 16, 2022
The 2022/2023 Student Advisory Council (SAC) met in regular session on Tuesday, August 16, 2022, in the Multipurpose Room, 2nd Floor, Fire Department Headquarters, 550 S. Washington Avenue, Titusville, FL 32796.
Co-Chairperson Savannah Sevor called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
Present were Co-Chairperson Savannah Sevor, Co-Chairperson Aliyah Deimeke, Co-Chairperson Aiden Sperr, Secretary Edie Pringle, and members Addison Flake, Richie Dobbs, Callie Cerrato, Julia Moon, Victoria Hillery, Cooper Mangini, Julia Curtis and Caydn Fiebig.
Also present was City staff liaison Emily Campbell.
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT – None.
Member Edie Pringle moved to approve the minutes of the regular Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting on April 19, 2022, as written. Co-Chairperson Aiden Sperr seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
City Attorney Richard Broome highlighted Florida Sunshine Laws and Robert’s Rules of Order.
Welcome 2021-2022 Student Advisory Council (SAC)! – Member introductions. Also, meet the School Advisors, City Staff Liaison, etc.
All members of the Student Advisory Council introduced themselves and stated their school and grade level.
SAC’s Purpose and Orientation Packet – SAC Members should review the packet prior to your 1st meeting (did everyone receive the orientation packet?). Take this opportunity to ask questions on the packet’s contents, review the purpose of your Council as a government advisory board, etc.
Assignment of Vice-Chairperson and Secretary Positions – Per City Resolution No. 1-2017, your Council will assign members of its cabinet to the positions of Vice-Chairperson, Secretary, and any other officers that your Council deems appropriate.
Motion: Co-Chairperson Aliyah Deimeke moved to appoint Member Edie Pringle as Vice Chairperson. Member Julia Moon seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
Motion: Co-Chairperson Aliyah Deimeke moved to appoint Member Julia Moon as secretary. Member Edie Pringle seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
2022/2023 Goals/Recommendations – Chairpersons: staff suggests providing background info (for new members) on each goal. The 2021/2022 Annual Report to City Council (Orientation Packet) may provide useful background info. Then, begin discussing, planning, and taking on individual elective tasks to complete the 3 goals or projects shown below. Secure all details, such as event dates and locations, deadlines, costs, commitments from outside agencies, etc. Projects typically require SAC members to individually complete simple or easy, but important tasks outside of your meetings.
- Host a beach cleanup at Playalinda Beach.
- Improve the DrinkDriveDie.com Webpage and Initiate Related Projects, such as continue to update the 2008 The Last Dance Prom Video.
- Host a mock City Council meeting in the Spring of 2023.
Council reviewed the previous goals/projects and discussed the three current goals/projects. Council came to consensus to add the longest table event to their list of goals. Council also recommended that Senior Media Specialist Kurtis Korwin attended the next meeting to discuss the timeline of The Last Dance Prom Video.
City staff liaison Emily Campbell stated that she would ask Senior Media Specialist Kurtis Korwin to attend the September 20 Student Advisory Council Meeting.
OLD BUSINESS – None.
MEMBER REPORTS – None.
STAFF LIASON REPORT
Action items: None.
- Council Budget – For your information: the available funding for SAC projects (Projects account nos. GFCC01 and GFCC04) is included in this agenda packet. (Page 12)
- Attendance at Meetings – Reminder (your responsibility) please be aware of City Ordinance (local law) and the SAC Scholarship Policy provide the City’s policy on board member and SAC scholarship attendance requirements. This info was provided to each school and SAC Members in the orientation packet (August 2022).
- Polo Shirt Order Form – For Students that do not have an SAC polo shirt (dark blue with white embroidery), please submit your order form and shirt size to the City Staff liaison, Emily Campbell (form provided in the orientation packet). Please note students may wish to order a t-shirt, but which is the student’s financial responsibility.
- Media Waiver Release – New SAC Members: please submit your completed form (included in the orientation packet) to City staff Liaison Emily Campbell.
- City’s Annual Board & Commission Appreciation Dinner – Save the date. Tentatively scheduled on October 6, 2022 at 6PM, at the Indian River Preserve in Mims, FL. You may bring one guest. Invitation forthcoming.
- Meeting Agendas & Delivery Methods – Following the first SAC meeting on August 16, 2022, the monthly meeting agenda will be emailed to you at least five (5) calendar days prior to each meeting; however, emails are sometimes undeliverable. To this, it is each SAC Member’s responsibility to get and review meeting agendas prior to your meetings.
With no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned at 4:41 p.m.